Pages

Thursday, February 21, 2013

Link Love and Simple Lives

I have a post rolling around in my brain that requires some real thought, but I have a busy afternoon ahead of me getting ready for the snowpocolypse, so I'm going to share a few links and come back another day.

  • Iowa Valley Food Co-op used a recipe from my blog for pot stickers in their newsletter this month. I love the recipe and the beef from the Co-op is the best around.  Have a look and consider signing up for the Co-op.
  • This article on becoming a mother is so so right. I was lucky enough to have escaped PPD and PPA, but I certainly mourned the loss of my old life.  I have so much to say about this, and have written things in my journal about it that I've considered sharing here, but this post does a great job of getting across what the experience can be like.  And the comments are full of other important stories.
  • Lauren's post on mama nervosa about taking time for yourself is speaking to me. I still haven't done a great job of carving out time for exercise, but we've started getting the yoga mat out together and Ellie's downdog is great.  I joined a book club so I have to read the books and spend two hours each month talking about life and meaning with a group of bright women (who also happen to love great food and tea, which is fantastic) and it's been so good for me.
  • Lauren links to this article by Janet Lansbury which I've read over and over this week. Expectations of our children's behavior is so important.
  • My students are reading about black history right now, so I was very interested in this program. Sometimes I have to remind myself to turn off news radio and turn on the classical station. It makes everyone calmer.
  • I share a poem with my husband every Valentine's Day. This is this year's poem.
  • I have been plotting a batch of sauerkraut, but this kimchi caught my eye. This blog is absolutely beautiful.
  • I read this book for my book club, and while I didn't love it, it taught me quite a few things. I now have a somewhat silly list that tells me all the things that need to be done each night and it's actually helped me stay on task.  It's encouraged quite a few other good behaviors, like not putting off anything that can be done in under a minute.
I often share links like these between blog posts on my pinterest and facebook pages, so follow me there if you're into that.


Finally, it's SIMPLE LIVES THURSDAY!
Check out the awesome stuff people are doing and link up, being sure to link back to this blog or one of the other hosts



salt 1. 40 Ingenious Uses For Salt Around The Home by Natural Mothers Network. "As salt is such an abundant and sustainable resource, it makes sense to use it in preference to toxic cleaners and preservatives where and when we can." dscn8943 2. Nata by mossgrownstone. "Nata is candied mother (or SCOBY or jun)- something I never thought of until I saw it in The Art of Fermentation" elderflowerwater 4 3. Elderflower Water: A Homemade Hydrosol by Our Heritage of Health. "I was snowed-in this past weekend with a blizzard, so I finally did something I've been wanting to try for a little while-making my own elderflower water."




5 comments:

Kier said...

A few of my friends and I decided to start a book club and 13 people showed up to our first get together. We decided to read "The Happiness Project" for our first book. I, too, heard it wasn't the greatest book,but if I can pick up a few good ideas from it, let's read!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Tiffany @ DontWastetheCrumbs said...

Thanks for hosting, as always!

This week I'm sharing two posts - building on the cooking fats from last week, now we're talking sourcing those awesome cooking fats (palm oil, peanut oil, lard and tallow) and a how-to guide on rendering your own lard or tallow!

Alicia said...

Kier, I'm trying to be more open and just enjoy! I just have so little time to read that I hate feeling like my time is being wasted. Anything else you guys are reading that looks interesting?
Tiffany, thanks for commenting! Be sure to link up on this week's linkup (in the post above) so everyone can see your great post!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs