Pages

Thursday, October 11, 2012

Silver Dollar Pumpkin Pancakes and Simple Lives

I have a confession to make: I am not the kind of blogger who tests her recipes time after time before posting them on my blog.
I obviously don't post the majority of the things that I make and I try to be selective about what I do post, choosing dishes that will be easy for lots of different cooks and hopefully contain a new or good idea about food.
For me, this is a space to share my love of cooking healthy seasonal food and sharing it with my family.  This little one is starting to catch on, by the way. 

 Last weekend I threw together a batch of pumpkin pancakes. They weren't perfect but they tasted amazing, even my pancake-hating husband liked them.  They were tough to flip so I made them into smaller silver dollar pancakes.  They still didn't flip perfectly but the taste was worth it, and knowing that they were made with such healthy ingredients made up for their less-than-perfect appearance. I used organic wheat flour and coconut oil, local milk, eggs, and honey.  Be sure that your baking powder is aluminum-free.
I hope you'll give these a try to celebrate fall.

Silver Dollar Pumpkin Pancakes
a drastically altered version of this recipe

1.5 c. milk
1 c. canned pumpkin
1 egg
2 tbsp. coconut oil (warm in hot water until it's liquid)
2 tbsp. vinegar
2 c. whole wheat flour
3 tbsp. honey
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
2.5 tsp. pumpkin pie spice (make your own)
1/2 tsp. salt

Mix the first five ingredients in one bowl and the remaining ingredients in another.  Combine and let sit for 5-10 minutes to thicken.
 Cook in a cast iron pan over low heat with lots of butter. Don't flip until it's ready.  It will look like this, bubbling all the way through and opaque on the edges.  Your butter shouldn't brown.
 The tiny silver dollar size makes them easier to flip.  Even so I had some smooshy pancakes, but they tasted perfect.
 Serve hot.
 With a lot of butter.  This recipe makes a ton, especially of the smaller size, so freeze whatever is left and reheat in an oven.  They get warm and the edges get nice and crispy.
Finally, it's Simple Lives Thursday again! Check it all out after the jump.


1. How to Make Savory Muffins (Freezer Cooking) by Intentional by Grace. "One of our favorite to freeze is a big batch of savory muffins. They are perfect for a quick breakfast, mid-afternoon snack, or as a bread to go with dinner."
 

2. DIY Kitchen: herbal immune syrup by 6512 and Growing. "This immune syrup is our first defense against coughs, sour throats and sniffles."

 
3. Sprouted Grains for Chickens by A Life Unprocessed. "Chickens will get fat and malnourished on a diet high in grains so what I do is sprout the grains for a few days ."


No comments:

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs