Pages

Thursday, October 18, 2012

Healthier Blondies and Simple Lives

It is fall.
 

The nights are crisp and cool, and though it's too late to help my garden, the drought has broken and rain has come.  Maybe it's just me, but I think the sky is somehow bluer when the weather turns cold.
There are still plenty of times during the day when it's warm enough to have the widow's open.  The big kid has really enjoyed sitting in her high chair and eating in front of the open window, staring into the backyard.  This photo is a couple weeks old and now that maple tree is bright yellow.
I forgot to share this sweet photo earlier. This is Ellie enjoying her first birthday cake! She was quite dainty about it, actually, and thought the sprinkles were the most interesting.
She's really eating like a big kid now.  She drinks out of a cup and uses a fork and spoon.  (Not that she does those things properly all the time, of course.)  She's actually getting sick of this high chair (which, by the way, was made by my great grandfather and used by all the children in my family including me) so she's spending more and more time at her weaning table. 
Playing with the last of the chard from our CSA.
Stem is less than tasty though.
We've been doing lots of stacking and pouring exercises. I'll show you those sometime soon.
I love this kid.

 But for now I'd like to share this recipe that we've been enjoying since I first made it a few weeks ago.  It's for blondies and is made with garbanzo beans.  The result is a healthier treat that's high in fiber.  It does have a bit of sugar, though, so eat in moderation.  Each bar has around 200 calories if my calculations are correct.  Use dried beans, dark chocolate chips, and the least processed sugar you can find.  I haven't tried substituting honey but I bet it would work.

Healthy Blondies
by Chocolate Covered Katie

1.5 c. chickpeas
3/4 tsp. baking powder
1/8 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
3/4 c. sugar (I used organic evaporated cane juice)
2 tsp. vanilla
1/4 c. old fashioned oats
1/4 c. peanut butter
1/2 c. chocolate chips

Whir everything but the chips in your food processor.
Process until smooth.  Then add the chips.  If you want them to stay whole, stir them in. If you don't care, pulse a couple times in the processor. 
Smooth it all out into an 8x8 pan and dot a few chips on the top.

Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.  It will probably look underdone.  Let them cool before digging in.
Easy.

Finally, it's Simple Lives! Link up and check it out!







1. Make lip balm! (all natural, of course) by Thank Your Body. "Ready to make lip balm? This all natural, tinted lip balm is so lovely"
 
2. Leftovers: Potato Edition by Eliza K. "With only two people in the house and bulk sizes being a better deal, we end up throwing away a lot of food that has gone bad. I've decided to be more pro-active in what I put into the fridge and ultimately where that food ends up. "
3. The Granny Style Washcloth by The Parsimonious Princess. "The washcloths look like something my grandma would have made if she knitted ."


1 comment:

Julia @juliecache said...

so trying the GF blondies recipe!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs