Pages

Thursday, October 4, 2012

Good News, Preserving Herbs in Oil, and Simple Lives

I come bearing good news!
Ariel was sent home after her contractions stopped and her situation stabilized.  Baby has decided to stay put for the time being.  Ariel will be on bedrest for the remainder of her pregnancy, which is hopefully a very long time.  Thank you all so much for your kind words and thoughts! They meant a great deal to the couple and me.
Something else happened recently:  This little girl turned 1.  ONE!  Ah!

Insane. 
I wanted to share a quick idea for preserving fresh herbs in oil.  We got a freeze recently so I had a bunch of fresh herbs in the garden that I didn't feel like taking the time to dehydrate.  (Also, some, like basil, don't dehydrate well anyway.) So I pureed them with a couple roasted tomatoes and a lot of olive oil.  It made a really thick and fragrant paste, which I spooned into an ice cube tray, froze, and then stuffed into a freezer bag.  Over the winter, we'll throw these into pasta or quinoa, or melt them for dipping with crusty bread.
Lastly, it's time for Simple Lives.  Join us under the jump for featured posts from last week and a linky where you can link up your posts and share them across all three fabulous host blogs.




1. Hot Red Pepper Jelly by Lightly Crunchy. "I had a few people ask about the recipe for the pepper jelly, so here is my version."
 
2. 3 Simple Tips To Plan Your Successful Garden Now For Next Year by "The Farm" Old World Garden Farms. "-It's the perfect time to plan next year's garden. Why now? Because everything is fresh in your mind."
 
3. Crazy Quilt by Simply Homemaking. "When I began, since I am NOT a quilter, I somehow thought that making a crazy quilt would be easier and faster than making a quilt from a pattern."

4 comments:

Julia said...

wish i could smell your herb cubes here in des moines!

Linda said...

OMG - I remember reading your birth story not long ago. She's beautiful. Are you still breastfeeding??

Linda said...

OMG - I remember reading E's birth story not long ago. She's so precious, love those big blue eyes!

Alicia said...

Linda, we are still nursing! Now that you mention it I should write a post. How is Benji?!?! Been thinking of you guys often!
Everybody says it and it's so true: time FLIES.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs