Pages

Saturday, May 12, 2012

Happy Mother's Day and $2 to Save a Life

I have already been spoiled this Mother's Day, my first, and it hasn't even begun.


My father-in-law gave me a sweet card and this beautiful rose bush.
My BFF flew in from the District to meet the baby and has been having so much fun with her. His return to our city and first meeting with E was one of the most emotional moments of my entire life. I will never forget it.
He gave me this photo frame, which is my new favorite gift idea for new parents. We take so many photos of our little ones and never seem to find enough frames to hang all the great ones.  This cycles through a Facebook album or can be connected to an email account.  The email address for this one is being shared with him and the other BFF, and I can't wait to see what sweet photos pop up in my living room from across the country.  It's been here only for a few hours and I already have caught myself staring at it, mid-sentence, head cocked to the side and smiling.
On Friday, I was surprised to find a big package on my door step from a far away friend.  I saw her return address and burst into tears.  When we first met, she and I were young women, making the transition from girlfriends to wives, children to adults.  Since then, I have taken inspiration from her as a woman and as a mother.  She has treated my family with great love and care and has made sure that our families continue to be connected.  She sent a package with gifts for my husband and daughter, and these three for me, which really could not be more thoughtful.  I was just stunned at how well she knows me, even though I can't remember the last time we talked on the phone.  The book is a vegetarian cookbook by MamaPea, the earrings are perfect, and the chocolate bar has sea salt.  Thank you, Susi!
I'm not sure what tomorrow holds, but I have been informed that it begins with the baby being stolen from bed in the early morning and whisked away so I can sleep in for REAL.  If that's where my special treatment ends, I'll be more than happy.  
Just over seven months ago, I brought this little girl into the world in an environment of intense physical and emotional support.  The staff at that hospital took incredible care of me and my daughter.  Not only we were attended to by skilled physicians and midwives, but we were also treated with respect and dignity.   
It goes without saying that the scissors my husband used to cut the cord were sterile, that the floor beneath me was clean, that the nurses and doctors wore gloves.  
But in Papua New Guinea, these things cannot be taken for granted.  That's why blogger Adriel at the Mommyhood Memos started an initiative to send kits stocked with materials for clean births along with education how to use them to rural communities in Papua New Guinea.  She has called her initiative Bloggers for Birth Kits, and has so far donated or sent over 1000 birth kits.  The initiative runs year round, but would be a perfect last-minute Mother's Day gesture for someone special. The below photo details the contents of the kit (via Adriel's site) 

If you have a few moments or dollars to spare, here's how you can help assure healthy mothers and babies in Papua New Guinea today.   

1. Make a birth kit. Assemble one yourself or gather a group of girlfriends, a moms group, work associates, or a church group to make a box full of them! Mail your kits to: Adriel Booker, Bloggers for Birth Kits, PO Box 6221, Townsville, Queensland, 4810, Australia





2. Donate for a birth kit to be made on your behalf. ($10 will buy 5 kits!) All donations for B4BK go toward the assembly and distribution of kits, as well as maternal care education. Make your online donation here. Please be sure to write “Bloggers for Birth Kits” in the box that says “additional comments” so the funds will be allocated properly!
3. Help raise awareness by posting about the cause on your blog, facebook, pinterest, and twitter. (Please use the hash tag #B4BirthKits!)

If you'd like to know more about Adriel's project, check out her post here.
If you want to know more about birth kits in general and their efficacy, check out this site.
Becoming a mother has been the most incredible experience of my life to date. I hope that you are able to share the day with those you love and hold dear, and are able to give just a little to help mothers and babies who need it most. I'd especially like to thank all the amazing mothers in my life for teaching me how to do this most important work. 

2 comments:

Erin Motz said...

Your sweet baby is jaw-droppingly adorable! So adorable I just had to make up a word! ;)

Alicia said...

Thank you, Erin! Your crow pose is incredible! Motivating me to get back on my mat.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs