Pages

Saturday, May 5, 2012

Baked Brie and One Minute With Eleanor

HI! HOW ARE YOU?!
My plate has been so full. Some great things are coming up.  The baby has decided to sleep a little bit more (now that I have written that, I expect her to revert immediately.) The semester is wrapping up nicely, but still not quite done.  Farmer's Market is finally open again and there are vegetables.  I feel like I'm breathing again, you know?
I have so much fun stuff that I want to talk to you about. So many good recipes to share.
But this is my to-do list for tomorrow, and I'll be thankful if half of it gets done:

  • repair the dryer (and catch up on all the laundry that hasn't gotten done as a result of no dryer)
  • go for a run with E
  • garden work here and at a friend's house
  • grade exams 
  • grocery shop
  • fix a minor car issue
  • get gas for the mower 
  • plant grass seed
  • clean the house
So for now I'm just going to share a very quick and easy way to impress your friends at parties or dinner guests: baked brie.  I was recently invited to a dinner party that turned out to be full of some pretty incredible women, most of whom I'd never met before.  I wasn't sure if the party was going to be formal or laid-back, if the people would be foodies or just plain hungry.  While figuring out what to wear was far more involved, I knew right away what I wanted to make.  It takes next to no time to throw together but is still celebratory and delicious.  Use good jam!

Baked Brie

1 piece of puff pastry, thawed in the fridge overnight or on the counter until just cool enough to handle
2-3 tsp. spicy sweet jam (I used homemade raspberry jalapeƱo.)
1 small wheel of brie 
egg for egg wash 

 Flop the brie down on the puff pastry and lightly trace a line just outside of the border of the brie.  This will tell you where to put the jelly.
 Remove the brie and spoon a good helping of jam onto the pastry.
 Lightly place the brie on top of the jelly.  Use a pizza cutter or sharp knife and trim the corners off the pastry and reserve them.
 Fold it up.

 Try to keep the bottom flat enough that it will be stable.
 Put it on seamed side down onto a greased cookie sheet.
You can brush it with egg wash at this point and it'll taste great, or you can use the reserved pieces of puff pastry to make it a little pretty.
Brush with the egg wash (just lightly beat the egg and add a little water) and bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes or until the pastry puffs up and is golden brown.
 Prepare to impress.
Finally, I'm going to leave you with a one minute video of the baby.  She just turned 7 months and has become such a big little person.  She is so close to crawling and babbling like crazy.  She's come a long way since these two minutes. Highlights include snorting, super fast excited breathing, and a solid nose-dive at the end.

7 comments:

Sweet and Savory Eats said...

Baked brie is one of my most favorite appetizers...or meals...if we are being honest!

prairiesummers said...

Oh the baby video is adorable/

Carrie said...

That tiny baby nose dive was the absolute best. Well, that and baked brie. I put pesto and pine nuts in mine!

Alicia said...

Ally, I am always sure to bring it on my own platter just in case there are leftovers :)

Thanks, prairiesummers! They change so fast, so having videos makes it so easy to help remember what she was like at this little moment in time.

Shoop, I'm going to have to try that! It sounds awesome, and I have some pesto in the freezer. I love how neutral brie is. If I make it, will you come back this weekend? <3

Kitchen Devil said...

I love the idea with the baked brie and you can be sure that I will try it and send you the picture of the result. An the other thing: what do you need a dryer for? You can easily dry in "on the air" - from all people I know who have dryers, they only use it during the Winter. It's crazy how high the electricity costs in Germany are, and as a result of it we even do not buy dryers. On the other hand it's also an enviromental aspect and fresh air in the garden is for free ;)

Alicia said...

Kitchen Devil, I'm sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you! Since I live in Iowa, I have to have a dryer! I dry on the line whenever I can, but since we're lucky enough to fully experience all four seasons, a good part of the year I can't dry things outside. But you're inspiring me to consider putting up a line outside. It gets very hot in the summer and would be great for drying.
I can't wait to see how your baked brie comes out!

Kitchen Devil said...

Hehe. Don't worry about the answer, I was also "out of the life" for nearly 3 weeks writing on a paper. By the way: tommorow I am going to try the brie! I wanted to make it today but I run out of brie and because of a holiday we had here, everything was closed today. So I made some rice pudding.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs