Pages

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Simple Lives Thursday

It's Thursday and that means I have some great posts to share about consuming less and producing more.  Check out this week's featured posts and link up!

Featured Posts from Last Week's Submissions

SLT Featured Post Badge 
 We really enjoy reading your posts each week! Featured post bloggers, please grab the badge above and display it on your site! Link it to one of the host blogs' posts for the specific week that you were featured. Here are our picks from last week's submissions. Thanks to all who participated -- it is always hard to choose!  
 
1. How to Rescue (Refurbish) a Cast Iron Skillet by Frugal by Choice, Cheap by Necessity. This is a great picture tutorial on getting rid of rust on cast iron skillets. Bookmark or pin it for a later resource.
 
 
2. Herbal Multivitamin Tincture by Modern Alternative Mama. Kate shares a recipe for an herbal alternative to a vitamin supplement.
 
3. Herbs for cooking: Dill by The Simple Life Journal. "From the Garden to the Kitchen to the Pot of Stew"


5 comments:

Maria @ Sage + Lavender said...

Hello, I'm visiting for the first time from Simple Lives Thursday and love the wholesome content of your blog. But I am REALLY loving the feature you listed about refurbishing a cast iron skillet. I have on in dire need of refurbishing. Have a great day!

Kitchen Devil said...

Dear Alicia. I'm reading your blog for a couple of years and now I am posting for the first time. Good job. As I see you got a cast iron pan. I also have one and it's nearly 80 years old, I got it from my neighbour. I also had to rescue it. I washed it ans scrubbed and after that operation I oiled it and "burned it out" how we say in Germany. I put it on the gas stove and "burned" it on full power for about 15-20 minutes. The pan got a wonderful patina and it's like a non stick now. It's clean like glass. The whole kitchen was full of smoke but that's the way it had to work. I did it at night in the hope no of the neighbours will call the fire brigade. I founf the instructions for rescuing of a cast iron pan on a German website.

Alicia Ambler said...

So glad to hear there's such love for cast iron, especially since there's still some made in the US (Lodge)
Kitchen Devil, what an interesting story! I'd love if you could link to the post you're talking about because the technique sounds so interesting. I don't speak German, but my husband does :) Thank you for commenting!

Kitchen Devil said...

You asked so I wrote a post about my rescuing of the pan with pictures how it looks now.

http://diabolical-cuisine.blogspot.com/2012/02/how-to-rescue-cast-iron.html

Sorry, I was looking for two days for that link with the instructions but I couldn't find it. But I found an interesting link about steel iron pans (those without enamel). They're burning it out with salt and potatoes and show it on pictures. The link is at the end of my post. Greetings from cloudy Germany.

Alicia Ambler said...

Thank you Kitchen Devil! I'm sharing your post in this week's Simple Lives Thursday. And hello back from gloomy Iowa :)

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs