Pages

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Weeknight Curry


Gosh I've missed you guys.
Things around here have been intense.  I'm back at work (I know, are you tired of hearing that yet?) Ellie is still very irregular in her schedule (well, for me. She's a peach for the babysitter.) and I somehow lost the cable to my DSLR.
I've been struggling to get into my new weekday routine, which includes getting behind the wheel daily for the first time in my adult life, and to get dinner on the table each night.  I've managed to do a lot of cooking, some photographing, but no blogging.
I'm planning to write down Eleanor's birth story the next time I sit down here, but until then, I thought I'd share the quick curry we made this week.  It came together so easily and helps me get in my goal of daily greens.

Weeknight Curry
2 tbsp. butter (or oil if you want the recipe to be vegan)
3 leaves of chard
10-15 b sized potatoes (I used the ones I canned last year)
1 sweet potato
1 onion
1 each yellow and green squash
1 can coconut milk
4-6 tsp. red curry paste
4-6 tsp. curry powder
3-5 c. water or stock
salt and pepper
quinoa or rice to serve

Get your quinoa or rice going while you throw the curry together.  To cook quinoa, rinse thoroughly first.  Combine two parts water or stock and one part quinoa. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook for 20 minutes.
In the bottom of a dutch oven or thick bottomed pot, melt the butter over medium heat and add your curry paste and powder.  The paste can be a little spicy, so add less at first if you don't like hot food.  You can add more to the broth later.
Stir. Your kitchen should smell pretty great right now.
Add your sliced onion and stir to coat with the seasoned butter.
Add the sweet potatoes, cut into small pieces.  The smaller you cut them the quicker they will cook.  If you're using raw potatoes, add them here, too.  My canned potatoes were cooked through so I didn't add them until the end.
Cook the sweet potato until it's starting to soften, around 5 minutes.  Add the zucchini, chopped into large pieces.
Stir to coat everything in your spices.  Immediately add your coconut milk and enough liquid to cover.  Stock will add flavor but water is fine.
 Simmer until your potatoes are cooked through.  Then use a masher to mash some of the potatoes while you continue to cook over medium.  Leave most of the potatoes unmashed so the curry still has texture.  Continue to cook while the mixture thickens.
Taste here. Once it's to your liking for seasoning and texture, add the chard, shredded.
Remove from heat and stir in the chard.
Serve hot.
Easy. Soul and house warming.
Along with simple dinners, I've been making some other things, too, like this ring sling that I sewed with my mother.  I used this tutorial as a rough guide. It's great and Ellie loves it.
Ellie's been hangin' out with some buddies. (I swear she is thisclose to giggling. So far we just have big grins.)
Droppin' her paci.
 Shoving both hands in her mouth whenever possible.
Practicing tummy time.
She's been stylin', too.
We've had scrambled eggs about three times a week, sometimes with bacon and sourdough toast.
Until next time, I'll be back soon, so try to stay warm, ok?

2 comments:

marba said...

This looks delicious, Alicia. This includes Eleanor. :)

Shu Han said...

aww, the babies are adorable! I tend to have a curry night once a week at least too!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs