Pages

Thursday, December 1, 2011

Homemade and Handmade Holiday Gifts and Simple Lives Thursady

This week I returned to work.  In short, it hasn't been as bad as I expected it to be.  The last full day that I was home with little E was heart wrenching.  Every time she'd smile at me I'd turn into a blubbering mess, lamenting that I wouldn't be seeing that sweet smile or hearing that little coo every morning like I'd gotten so used to.   But each day since that one has been easier, since I allowed myself to have my day of feeling bad and then decided to move on and deal with the reality of my situation.  I also returned to work at the busiest time of the semester, and a day filled with teaching, testing, pumping, feeding, and meetings has made it so I hardly have time to feed myself, let alone mope about missing my girl.
Another big responsibility keeping me busy this time of year is holiday preparation.  Each year I do my best to make my own gifts or buy handmade goods whenever I can.  Here are some of my favorite homemade and handmade gifts that should satisfy everyone on your list.
My homemade apple butter
and cranberry clementine marmalade
This hot pepper jam would be easy to make with frozen fruit.
Who wouldn't love a loaf of banana bread?  I love to include the recipe when I give edible gifts.
Easy recycled candles in vintage teacups.  (My photo, Martha's instructions.)

If you're not super crafty yourself but want to give something handmade, you should check out Heartsy, a daily email service in the spirit of Groupon for Etsy.  (Disclaimer: if you sign up for Heartsy through the above and image link and purchase something, I will receive a small credit toward my Heartsy account.)
Heartsy - Exclusive deals on fabulous handmade designer items at members-only prices.
And of course, you would be the apple of your gift-recepient's eye if you give them some Rosie's Best granola.
If you're still short on inspiration, check out the contributions of bloggers from all over the web in our blog hop, Simple Lives Thursday, and please feel free to link up your own ideas!


Featured Posts from Last Week's Submissions


SLT Featured Post Badge 
 We really enjoy reading your posts each week! Featured post bloggers, please grab the badge above and display it on your site! Link it to one of the host blogs' posts for the specific week that you were featured. Here are our picks from last week's submissions. Thanks to all who participated -- it is always hard to choose!
 
1. Why I Don't Participate in Black Friday by The Local Cook. "It’s started. The TV and radio and internet advertisements; emails telling me about all the money I could make by promoting Black Friday specials on my website; deal bloggers sharing strategies for planning your attack with the precision of an Army general. Yuck."
   
 2. A Cure for Hot Flashes by Ruth's Real Food. Can something as simple as food cure hot flashes? Be sure to read the notes on this blog post about what actually causes them in the first place.

3. Go Stuff Yourself by Your Thriving Family. "Well, its finally the day. Turkey Day! No! Today is Thanksgiving. Not a day for eating till you can't move and fighting with the family. But to Give Thanks. To GIVE."

1 comment:

juliecache = Julia + geocaching said...

I've been looking for a hot pepper jam recipe. You're tops, alicia. smiles from west des moines. --

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs