Pages

Monday, November 7, 2011

Mindfully Meatless: Grandma Ann's Banana Bread My Way

Greetings! Another weekend has just blown by and it's Monday again. Today I have a family recipe for a quick banana bread that I've modified to fit into my style of cooking and eating and I'm excited to share it with you.
My Grandma Ann is a matriarch in the truest sense of the word.  My mother's side of the family is large, given that she is one of ten children, each of whom have gone on to have many children of their own.  Grandma Ann has been my lone grandparent for the greater part of my conscious life and is well known to be a fantastic cook.  She taught her daughters how to bake, and all of them and their female children get together each winter and bake huge amounts of Christmas cookies.   In this picture, I'm in the back with long hair and I have my arm around Grandma.
Every grandchild has a favorite baked good that she makes, mine being her Aunt Irene's oatmeal cookies, and one popular choice is her banana bread.  When she told me the recipe was dead easy and was kind enough to share it with me, I thought I'd pass it on to all of you so you never have to let bananas go bad on the counter again.  (Of course, you should have been throwing them in the freezer for banana soft serve, but this is even better.)

This is a quick bread, which means the leavening comes from baking soda rather than yeast.  It also means it offers instant gratification and would be fun to do with kids.  Grandma's recipe included a full cup of sugar, white flour, and oleo.  I decided to swap honey and maple syrup for the sugar and halve the amount, use white whole wheat flour, and use butter instead of the shortening.  My bread still has a strong banana flavor and is very moist, but is a bit better for you than the traditional version.

Quick Banana Bread

2 ripe bananas (they should have brown spots on the outside and be soft)
1/4 c. maple syrup
1/4 c. honey
2 eggs
1 1/2 c. white whole wheat flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1/2 c. chopped nuts
1/2 stick butter, melted

Put the peeled bananas in the bowl of a mixer with the paddle attachment.  If you don't have a mixer, just mash the bananas in a bowl.



Start the mixer and mash the bananas.

Meanwhile, toast the nuts in a dry pan.  Do NOT leave them there and feed the baby, or you will waste them all.
 Add your maple syrup and honey to the banana.
 Then add your eggs, being sure to crack them into a separate container first so you don't get any shell pieces in your batter.  Add eggs one at a time, fully incorporating each one.
Add the melted butter.  
Mix in the flour.
 Soda, and salt.
 And add the almonds since you burnt the pecans.
 Pour into a greased loaf pan.  Bake at 350 for 45 minutes to an hour, or once a toothpick comes out clean. Cool on a rack.
 This is best served the next day at room temperature.
I hope you enjoy this quick bread and take the opportunity to throw it together.  Your minimal effort will be rewarded!
And god forbid I write a post without any pictures of the baby, here she is in a staring contest with the dog.

 and SMILING! For REAL!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

While that banana bread looks delicious, i can't stop looking at Eleanor and Razi!

Kierstan said...

Great recipe for banana bread! I love my banana bread toasted with a smear of peanut butter - best ever.

meggibson said...

Just got a loaf from Grandma Ann. Num,... gone. Will have to give yours a try, looks GREAT. love ya rose!!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs