Pages

Monday, October 24, 2011

Meatless Busy Mama's Fried Rice

Hello!  Long time no see!
I hope you have been well in the time I've been away taking care of baby girl.  First, I need to give another shout-out and huge gratitude to my guest bloggers, Lindsay,  Branny, Erin, and Christine.  I am so thankful for the time off (I have enjoyed being away from the computer almost too much) and the content they delivered was fantastic, in my opinion.  I hope that you all checked out their blogs and don't be surprised if you see one of their recipes pop up on here sometime soon!
While they were doing all the hard work for me, I was taking care of this little peanut, who is already much bigger than she was when she was born three weeks ago.
It has been a lot of work being this girl's full time milk machine, but I have so loved getting to know her, and my husband as a daddy.  We are enjoying every minute of it, even the fussy, middle of the night, every hour feedings.  When you have a newborn, everyone tells you how tough it's going to be, preparing you for the worst I suppose.  We've done our best to take each moment as it comes and to treat each other with kindness and understanding, and the three of us are feeling great.

We have been lucky enough to have lots of friends and family bring us delicious and nutritious meals during the last few weeks, but I've also been itching to cook again since it makes me feel good.  So, last night we threw together a quick pot of fried rice and topped it with fried eggs.

Busy Mama's Fried Rice
makes enough  to serve 4 as a main dish

2 handfuls (approx 1-1.5 cups) crimini mushrooms, sliced
1 red onion, chopped
1 white onion, chopped
1 shallot, minced,
3 cloves garlic
1 chili (we used jalapeƱo)
3 carrots, diced
2 green bell peppers, diced
1 head bok choy, chopped
1.5-2 c. leftover cooked rice
4+4 eggs
1/2 c. prepared mu-shu sauce
1/3 c. soy sauce
1/2 c. stock
1/4 c. vinegar (white wine or rice wine is best)
generous dose of freshly ground black pepper

Begin by prepping all your veggies (or having your partner prep them while you hold the baby)
We did the garlic and chili in the mortar and pestle.
Heat some vegetable oil in the bottom of a large pan or dutch oven over medium high heat.
Add the garlic and chili and stir, being sure the garlic doesn't burn.  Cook for just a few seconds.  Then add all the vegetables except the mushrooms.  Cook in the oil until the carrots are slightly softened and the onions are translucent, 3-5 minutes.
Then, add the liquids and the mushrooms and turn up your heat until the liquid simmers.  Reduce until it's almost as thick as you'd like it to be, another 3-5 minutes.  Then add your rice, stir to combine and just warm up the rice.
While your vegetables are cooking, in a separate pan, take four of the eggs and beat them with a little milk or water and salt and pepper.  Scramble them in a bit of butter, remove from the pan, and chop into small pieces.  Add to the rice after removing it from heat.
Finally, fry up one egg per person and top the rice.  (Here's how I fry an egg, but now I use cast iron instead of non-stick.)
Keep the yolk runny if you can!
I have a fussy baby to attend to, but know that I've missed you and am very glad to be back to posting!  Have a great week!

6 comments:

Maggie said...

Eleanor is in the running for cutest baby ever, along with you-know-who. ;) And that rice looks tasty, too!!

Sarah said...

Oh My Alicia, she is stunning!! I can't wait to meet her.

meggibson said...

Alicia Glad your family is doing so great. I knew the two of you would be GREAT parents!!
love ya tons

http://www.creatingnirvanatoday.blogspot.com/ said...

She is beautiful! Congratulations!

Kierstan said...

The fried rice sounds amazing and your daughter is adorable!

Anonymous said...

Thanks everybody! It's really helps that she's cute when it's time for those midnight feedings :)

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs