Pages

Monday, September 19, 2011

Meatless Freezer Stocking: Breakfast and Dinner Burritos

It's Monday.  As usual, my weekend was crammed full of exciting and fun things with family and friends, and some less than fun work around the house.  Saturday, my little nephew turned SEVEN and I made him a cake for his birthday party.  It was a bit of work, but honestly came together easier than I thought it would.  Normally I stay away from food dye, but I just couldn't present him with a pink lego cake, so I used Wilton jells to get the bright colors.  
Friday marked my completion of the 37th week of this pregnancy, which means I'm technically full term. While I'm hopeful that this baby girl stays put until at least 40 weeks, my doula (she is AWESOME) reminded me that we really need to be ready for her to come any time between now and then.  I had been talking about stocking up the freezer with some easy meals for when we're sleep deprived and decided that it was finally time to get started.  So on Sunday I blocked out a couple hours to throw together some burritos for both breakfast and dinner that we'll heat up in the oven or microwave.

All the prep was easy and mostly hands off and assembly of the 20-some burritos took only 30 minutes.  I haven't tried reheating any yet, but plan to do so in a medium oven for half an hour or a microwave on 50% power for 2-3 minutes so the filing is warm before the tortillas dry out.

To protect them from freezer burn, I wrapped them tightly in foil and then packed them into freezer bags.

Both styles of burrito had a few ingredients in common because they were easy and went well with both sets of flavors.
These ingredients include

  •  beans cooked in the crockpot with broth


  • roasted peppers
chopped
  • yellow and sweet potatoes
chopped

and roasted
the breakfast burritos included scrambled eggs with chives and tomatoes
and the diner burritos used quinoa for bulk instead of rice
All together:

Homemade Frozen Breakfast Burritos
  • beans
  • grated cheese
  • scrambled eggs
  • roasted potatoes
  • roasted peppers
  • salsa



Homemade Frozen Veggie Burritos
  • beans
  • fresh jalapeƱos
  • roasted peppers
  • roasted potatoes
  • grated cheese
  • salsa
  • quinoa

I tucked the sides in like this:
and then rolled them up from the bottom, wrapped them up in foil and labeled them.
This stack of burritos made me feel just a little bit more ready for her.
We've never been a freezer-stocking family, but we just might start.  What are your favorite things to prep in bulk ahead?  How did you get ready for your little one?  I'd love to hear.  




2 comments:

Kierstan said...

Ok, this has nothing to do with getting ready for a baby, but everything to do with amazing burritos. Have you had a burrito from the stand that is set up during the Iowa City's farmers market? I did last week and just about died it was so good!!

Alicia said...

Kier, you must be talking about Local Burrito. They awesome and get everything from the market! Super cool people and great food.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs