Pages

Monday, August 29, 2011

Meatless Monday: Protein Power Green Smoothie


I'm back into the swing of things at school until this little girl decides it's time to come out and join us, so I've been working hard to keep myself (and her) fed well without spending too much time on my sore feet. (If you hadn't noticed already, pregnancy has made me the whiniest person I know. I apologize in advance for any more complaints I manage to slip into this short post.)
I've been instructed by my midwife to eat small meals every two hours that are made up of a variety of foods but are still small portions.  It's been a challenge when I'm on the go or at work, but when I'm home I have a favorite go-to mini-meal: the green smoothie.  
If you struggle to eat your greens each day or have loved ones who aren't eager to eat kale, smoothies are a great way to get in those extra servings.  The frozen fruit gives it a smooth texture and sweet taste, and the protein powder is an easy way to boost the nutrition and satiety smoothies offer. 
I always keep frozen fruit on hand, particularly strawberries, cherries, and blueberries.  I also almost always have a banana in the freezer to use for smoothies or for this amazing soft serve.  
The frozen banana serves as the base for this smoothie and gives it is thick texture.  Everything else is easy to switch around based on your preferences, so use whatever you have on hand.

Protein Power Green Smoothie

1 handful kale or spinach, steamed
1 c. yogurt (I always use full fat from grass-fed cows. at the very least use plain)
1/2 c. frozen fruit of your choice
1 frozen banana
1 scoop protein powder (I use this one)
1 tbsp. peanut butter
1 tbsp. wheat grass powder, optional (Don't be scared. Wheat grass is really quite sweet.) 

Layer everything in the jar of your blender.

Try to start with the yogurt on the bottom and push the banana down as much as you can.  (This is easier if you chop the banana before you freeze it.)
Blend it all up. You might want to use the ice crush function on your blender if it has one.  I have this blender and while it's not perfect, it's great for the price.
Serve it in a fancy glass.
I love smoothies because they taste like dessert but still have you feeling full and energized afterwards.  They easy to throw together and nutritional powerhouses, so try to make them a part of your regular routine. If you have trouble eating a full breakfast in the morning, smoothies are a great option to start the day.
Finally, here's a picture of me with my aunties from my baby shower last weekend.  As you can see, they're adorable and I'm huge.  This baby is growing like crazy and will be here before we know it.  I hope you're enjoying the last of summer and the transition into fall!




No comments:

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs