Pages

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Easy Honey Wheat Bread, Open-Faced Pork Sandwiches, and Simple Lives Thursday

Hiya!
It's Thursday so I have a quick recipe and a great blog hop for you.
I haven't experienced the crazy cravings that many pregnant women describe, though I have eaten more doughnuts in the last few months than in my entire pre-pregnancy life I'm afraid.  But when I had a craving for an open-faced sandwich like you find in the diner with mashed potatoes and gravy, I knew I had to give in.
I took some of the pork that we still have in the fridge from the Stamps Family Farm and cooked it in the slow cooker with just water, a handful of rosemary and sage from the garden, and salt and pepper.  After letting it do it's thing all day, I had tender shredded pork and a nice stock to begin a gravy.
I made a roux in the bottom of the pan and added the broth from the slow cooker.  I let it thicken, added the meat, and served it on top of toasted bread with some mashed potatoes with yukon golds from market and the first of our garlic.  It was delicious.
DSC03357
We have been eating a lot of sandwiches at lunch (with homemade peanut butter and ground cherry jam) so I decided it was time to make some of my own bread.  I don't often make bread because the Coop offers such great quality breads at reasonable prices, but I've been glad I took the time to make this one.  It's an easy honey wheat bread, and rather than type the recipe here I'm going to refer you to the page on All Recipes because the comments and reviews are interesting and helpful.  (For example, I skipped the second dose of honey as per the comments.)
This recipe does contain some unbleached white bread flour, which is why it makes such awesome toast and sandwiches, so it isn't the healthiest bread you can make, but it's a great occasional treat.  And boy does it make some beautiful loaves.
DSC03349
It was easy, too.
DSC03350So click on over to the recipe and give it a try if you're into homemade bread.
Finally, it's Simple Lives Thursday! Check out last week's linky behind the jump!




No comments:

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs