Pages

Monday, June 13, 2011

Meatless Monday: Baked Beans, and Iowa City Farmer's Market

This weekend was a whirlwind for me.  I found out on Friday afternoon that I had secured a spot in Saturday's Farmer's Market.  This gave me about 18 hours to bake, package, and prepare a booth.  It turned out to be one of the best experiences in recent memory, and I look forward to being able to participate in market again this year, if I should be so lucky.
Before I tell you about it, I'm going to share another vegetarian side dish that is perfect for you to bring to a get together this summer: baked beans.
Aside from being hearty and delicious, baked beans are an excellent option to bring to a summer cooking event because they're very high in protein and soluble fiber.  The former is important if you're a non-meat eater, and the latter is important if you plan to eat anything high in fat because the fiber can actually absorb some of the fat before you digest it.   (If you're a meat eater, it wouldn't hurt to put a little bacon in these...)
It really won't work to do this with canned beans because they'll be mushy before the flavors have come together, so please use dried.  You don't have to soak them before, but if you do it'll reduce the cooking time significantly.  Just be sure to discard your soaking liquid.

Best Baked Beans

1 large yellow onion, chopped
1 c. each dried kidney and pinto beans
1 jar canned tomatoes (home canned or in glass, avoid plastic lined tin cans) without liquid
1/4 c. ketchup
1/3-1/2 c. bbq sauce
3 tbsp. mustard
3 tbsp. honey
3 tbsp. molasses
1-5 tbsp. cayenne hot sauce, to taste
3-4 tbsp. bbq seasoning or seasoned salt
salt and pepper

Start with your beans.
DSC02186
One cup each
DSC02189
Rinse well and combine.
DSC02190Prep your sauce ingredients.  I just threw together stuff I always have on hand.  You could also add:
  • chilis
  • liquid smoke
  • Worchestershire sauce (not vegetarian though!)
  • bell peppers
  • apple cider vinegar
  • brown sugar
but I didn't, since this is all I had.   Use what you've got in the pantry and fridge.
DSC02217Start with your onion in oil or butter.
DSC02221
Once the onions are done, add your remaining ingredients.  You can tell I measured very carefully...DSC02229Add your liquids, stir everything up, and stick it in the oven with the lid on.
DSC02231
Bake until the beans are finished, around 3 hours for us but it will really depend on your oven and beans.  Once they're nearly done, bring everything to a simmer on stove top and reduce the liquid to your liking.  I think they should be nice and thick.
DSC02256Finally I'd like to show you pictures of me at market.  It's really lucky that I come from a family crafty and successful cottage industrialists, because I was able to get this table and tent on last-minute notice from my mama.  I guess entrepreneurship runs in the blood.  I set up quickly between two grillers (and yes, it smelled like grease the whole time. Fun.)
DSC02320Mugged for the camera before we opend at 7:30 a.m.

DSC02322We had all the basicsDSC02330And generous samples.  RIP my Anthropologie bowl in the middle, which Tim broke during clean up.  Oh well.
DSC02331
We sold tons of the strawberry basil limeade, in spite of it being on the cooler side that day.
DSC02325THANK YOU to all my friends who showed up and bought stuff from me and said hi, and to all my new customers.  I hope you enjoyed it, and to see you there again soon!
Happy Monday all!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

the cuteness!

Jey said...

Wow, what a whirlwind weekend! Glad it was successful for you.

Alicia said...

Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Farmers market looks like a huge success and the beans sound yummy!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs