Pages

Thursday, February 24, 2011

A Simple Beef Stew, Seeds, and SLT

Hey! It's Thursday! That means I have a short post for you, and a bunch of great linked up posts from other bloggers out there who are keeping it simple these days.
First I thought I'd share a simple stew that we through together last weekend. It took just a few minutes to throw together and it was very inexpensive since it used home canned tomatoes and stew beef.
We started with some local grass fed beef (from Stringtown grocery in Kalona) dredged in flour, salt and pepper.   
DSC00668
Then we added one large onion and five carrots, roughly chopped.
DSC00670 Once everything got nice and brown, we tossed in a jar of tomatoes and some bay leaves. 
DSC00673After three hours simmering away on the stove, we got a thick rich broth with tender beef and vegetables.  The broth had great body and the beef was falling apart.  We sopped it all up with crusty bread and were more than satisfied.
DSC00676
 I'd also like to show you the seeds I bought for this year! I'm teaming up with a couple friends to grow more than my garden can hold, so some of this will be in the yard and the rest will be just a few blocks away.
From Baker Creek:
Anise Hyssop
Thai Sweet Basil
Elephant Dill
Fennel
Lemon Balm
Sage
Thyme
Tarragon
Wild Strawberries
Sioux Tomato
Tokyo Long White Bunch Onions
They also sent a free packet of Parisienne Carrots, which I can't wait to try!
DSC00706
From Seed Savers Exchange, I got
Lemon Drop Tomato
Climbing French Green Bean
Green Zebra Tomato
Amish Paste Tomato
Lettuce Mix
Green Tomatillo
Dwarf Blue Curled Kale
Healthy Pepper
French Breakfast Radish
Riesentraube Tomato
Ground Cherry
Lemon Cucumber
Bee's Friend Flower
DSC00709 I'm going to be starting things as soon as possible (though I'm already behind by not having started yet, according to the Farmer's Almanac) and I'll be taking photos and sharing them here.
Until then,  check out these great posts and link up your own! Remember we four host the hop:

Wardeh at GNOWFGLINS
and Annette at Sustainable Eats





No comments:

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs