Pages

Thursday, February 10, 2011

My Favorite Meat-Free Meals, and SLT

Hey folks! I'm writing today to share some of my all-time favorite meatless recipes.  I'm doing so because a friend of mine, Phillip, is trying to reduce his meat consumption.  I'm taking his effort as a reminder that regardless of where it comes from, meat is simply not required eating every day, or even every week.  We've got stores of pork and beef from local ethical sources, but meatless meals tend to be a little bit cheaper and just as satisfying. I hope you can find something here that looks delicious to you, and please share your favorite meat-free recipes or blogs in the comments section. Quick Tomato Sauce with Pasta
Omit the cheese and this one's vegan.  This is a great way to use up lots of fresh veggies, and is very reasonably priced since pasta is so inexpensive.
Fresh Pitas with Hummus and Fixins The original post includes gyro meat, but truthfully it was the least interesting part of the entire meal, and the pitas hold up very well without it.

These are so good, and can be made with any beans you have around. I highly encourage the use of dry beans!
That link is to my pizza crust, which I top with that simple tomato sauce and lots of veggies roasted with olive oil, herbs, salt and pepper.
DSC02500
That is a really old post, but I've made the recipe over and over.  It's flexible, cheap, and reheats well.  Plus it's major kid-pleaser.
DSC02148
I love anything with a fried egg, so I've written about how to make them here.
This dish is super fast to throw together on a weeknight, and packed full of protein.
NewImage
I hope you give at least one of these recipes a try, and remember that meat is a luxury and should be treated as such.  The best thing that we can do for the animals we eat is to honor their sacrifice, and I think abstaining at times should be a part of that.  Please share your opinions and favorite vegetarian dishes/blogs in the comments.
Finally, it's Simple Lives Thursday!
We host:
Wardeh at GNOWFGLINS
and Annette at Sustainable Eats
NewImage
So link up your posts!



No comments:

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs