Pages

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Simple Lives Thursday #14

Hey internet!
How are you?
It's THURSDAY.  I'm double excited this week because tonight is my Master Gardener class about VEGETABLES!  I'll readily admit that this is my main reason for doing the program, though I've managed to learn a lot and meet tons of great people along the way.
Also very exciting is the fact that I'll be taking a full day this weekend in Ames to visit the campus of Iowa State University and take extra hands-on courses! 
*If you're a reader in Ames, feel free to send me an email! I'd love to meet you!*
Finally, if you're on twitter (I'm @culinarybliss) you might have noticed a hashtag for the Iowa Corn Tour.  This tour is sponsored by the Iowa Corn Promotion Board.
You might get the warm fuzzies when you think about corn in Iowa, but the truth is that the vast majority of the corn grown here is NOT used for food but for livestock feed and corn-based products.
A few "Mom Bloggers" were flown to Iowa to look at the fields and share their experiences.  Their tweets are what the board paid for, and they have caused major outrage on twitter and beyond.  Just a few examples:

  • People dont want to point the finger at themselves for obesity. Its just easier to blame HFCS than themselves. Moderation. Truth
  • can't pronounce food ingred.? don't worry.Food is naturally made of things u can't pronounce
  • My opinion & what I've seen: Organic more a marketing & money making scheme than anything. I TRUST our farmers.



I do not want to get into the politics or facts behind these tweets or the claims they make right now, but this is what I want to make clear:
You are responsible for feeding yourself.
You spend huge amounts of money each month on food.
You should inform yourself about what you choose to feed yourself and your family.
When you inform yourself, you have a responsibility to know where the information comes from.

The Iowa Corn Promotion Board paid for this information campaign in the same way they would pay for an advertisement in a magazine or newspaper, and you should take the information in the same way.
If you'd like information about sugar in general and hfcs in particular, this video is very informative.  If you want to learn more about the corn industry and how it has changed our state and country, I recommend this movie, King Corn.

Lastly I'd like to remind you that today is the 14th installment of Simple Lives Thursday!




Please link up the posts on your blog where you tell us about what you're doing to consume less and produce more.  These three informative and independent bloggers also host the hop with me:






  •  A Little Bit of Spain in Iowa










  • Sustainable Eats










  • GNOWFGLINS








  • No comments:

    LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs