Pages

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Garden Catchup, More Thrifting, and an Exciting Announcment: I'm going to be a Master Gardener!

Hey everybody!

I thought it was time to share some garden updates with you as we enter September, the first and most exciting of which is that I've been accepted to the Master Gardener program this fall!  If you're not familiar with the Master Gardener program, it includes and education and volunteer component and is conducted by your county extension office.  (If you don't know what your county extension office is, look it up!)  I will be taking classes on everything from landscape design to compost and then will be volunteering at community gardens to earn my certification.  I hope to be working at the University of Iowa's student garden or at the Goodwill garden on the south side of Iowa City. 
If you're a Master Gardener, I'd love to hear about your experiences in the comments section!
Back to the garden as it stands now.  It's been cool around here mornings and evenings, but the days have continued to give good warmth and sunlight to the garden.

The thin and tender pole beans are producing well.


The volunteer Wapsi tomatoes got a little extra support after the harsh winds we've been having. (Also, go Hawks!)  These are very delicate and sweet.



The first of the green zebras are finally getting ripe, and they're a nice addition to the tomato collection because they provide a sweet tartness that's totally unlike any other tomato we have.

The tomatillo plants are sprawling and finally starting to produce pods.  We'll see how many fruits we get before the frost comes, but we will certainly be going these

I bought this chili plant at farmer's market and it has more than paid for itself this year.  These are tiny and super hot.  The seller told me I can bring the plant inside and it will continue to produce this winter.


The kale is even bigger, but still good.  Next year I'll stagger them better.  You can see the few surviving beets and the crawling cucumbers in the back.



The decorative grass is coming up, and will be around all winter long.


Some flowers I picked from the front yard, along with some blossoming chives.


The yard has been a peaceful sanctuary and we expect to enjoy it longer this year thanks to the new fire pit. 
Finally, I'd like to share some new dishes I got at Stuff Etc. this weekend.  I am not the biggest fan of Stuff Etc. but they have coupons often and great sales.  I got four porcelain dinner plates, four small salad plates, three triangular plates, and six of these little teardrop shaped ones for $15 in great condition.  I love plain white for the blog, so expect to see more of these soon!




I have my orientation to the program tonight and look forward to sharing the details with you, along with a some photos from an Iowa City local food event I attended last night!  See you soon!

4 comments:

Melynda said...

Your garden looks great, love the shot of the tomatoes! Working to make mine bigger, one of these days I will have tomatoes also. Thanks for sharing.

Sustainable Eats said...

Your garden looks great! And congrats on the master gardener thing.

xo, Sustainable Eats

Sarah said...

Hey lady,

This is unrelated to this post, but I was wondering if you could send me your granola recipe? tryalittletenderness83@gmail.com or you can just post it to my blog.

On another side note, it was great seeing you this weekend!

Lazaro Cooks! said...

Wonderful post. Well-written and informative. I am glad I found your blog and look forward to following your here.

Be well.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs