Pages

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Savor the Season: The Best BLT, and A Simple Meal from a Kansas Farmer's Market

Hi everybody!
This week has been a busy one for me.  I just got back from a road trip to Kansas with my husband, brother-in-law, and dog.
We stopped in Kansas City for some road food at Ingredient, a restaurant that requests you donate to charity or do something for someone else instead of tipping.

We had so much fun hanging out with his beautiful grandmother and living like retired people.
We played lots of cards.

Hung out with the grandkids.


We spent our days waking up early, taking naps, reading books, staying up late drinking beer and talking, passing around the guitar, and eating light meals from local seasonal produce.




We started by exploring the farmer's market and were happily surprised at the selection and murals throughout the building.

This REALLY knocked our socks off: FREE COFFEE!  Take note, Iowa City.


Our simple dinner came together perfectly.  Tomatoes cooked down with a little garlic, slaw from cabbage, jicama, and carrots, squash, cucumbers with vinegar and onions, chicken breasts, and some cheese curds I brought with me from Iowa.  This is easy summer eating at its best. Everything was perfect and simple.


Since we got home I have been busy getting everything back together and only have the desire to cook the simplest of meals.  
We are knee-deep in produce at the moment, and it's finally FINALLY tomato season, so you know it's time for a BLT.
Here are my tips to make the most of the seasons best:

Cook your bacon in the oven.  This is the easiest way to cook bacon in my expereince.  Place a drying rack over a sheet pan.  Cook the bacon at 375 for 20-25 minutes, or until it's done to your liking.  It's so much easier than fliping and dealing with splattering grease!



Toast wheat sandwich bread, and slather both sides with great mayo.  I use Vegenaise because I love its flavor.  Then layer on good local lettuce with some flavor (not iceberg!) and thick slices of your best tomatoes.  We eat with our eyes first, so make it pretty.



Bacon on the other side.  I cut the pieces to match the size of the bread.



Cut with a big bread knife.



Drink a summer beer, and enjoy!











2 comments:

Sustainable Eats said...

I'm loving summer's simple meals as well - so glad you found a great farmer's market on vacation!

heather@myeverydaygraces said...

You had me at that first photo... great shot! The BLT's look great too. I am still waiting for my tomatoes to come in but with 100F it shouldn't be long.

visiting from SLT

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs