Pages

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Ina's Outrageous Brownies, CSA Share, and Garden Check-In

Greetings!  
Guess what?  I have an actual recipe for you this time.  Allow me to tempt you:


Before we get to that, I'd like to show you the last share we got from our CSA with ZJ Farms and just how far along the garden is coming.  (Spoiler alert: the tomatoes are exploding.)  

We've got kale, garlic scapes, broccoli, a zucchini, and some chard.  The hydrangeas came from the front yard and are still going strong.



The backyard has been humming.  The pole beans are starting to curl up and flower.




The kale is looking strong, so the fence must be keeping somebody out.



Raspberries are still going, though not for much longer.




This guy was hanging out and eating while we picked yesterday.


Finally, the back plot.  The tomatoes are getting very bushy, which isn't ideal, but they are covered in flowers, which grow into tomatoes.  







On to those brownies!  I halved Ina's recipe because it makes way too much, so these amounts are half what she calls for here.

Ina's Outrageous Brownies

















Finally, I'd like to tell you about my husband's grandfather who passed away last week.  We spent a few days in Kansas soaking up his side of the family and taking care of his grandmother.  My husband's grandfather was a music teacher, French horn player, and composer.  He married a brilliant and fiesty woman, and I hope that we will someday share a bond that is as strong as theirs.  We were lucky enough to have them sing at our wedding three years ago, the same song they sang at Tim's parents' wedding.

  


Getting to know this family has been deeply important to me, and this death has reminded me that I need to keep my loved ones closer than I have lately.  So today, I urge you to call someone whom you haven't talked to in a while, if only to open lines of communication.  

Until next time, eat up and take care.



1 comment:

Nicki Woo said...

Oh absolutely divine. And the pictures well, I'm digging out my bowls, spoons, and eggs now! I'm convinced we must have brownies tonight!

I just found your blog, and it reminds me a lot of mine. Lot's about food and gardening. I'm following you now, I can't wait to read more. Thanks for the great post.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs