Pages

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Project Lunch: Wednesday: Grownup Grilled Cheese and Salad with House Dressing

Greetings, all!
This week is flying by and the project is keeping me busy, but I'm enjoying it.  I am finding myself getting excited about lunch more often, so I enjoy eating it more.  I had to hold myself back from digging into tomorrow's lunch!

Grownup Grilled Cheese


Use a good wheat bread.  I used Peter Reinhart's multigrain bread, but you can buy excellent bread.  I like this one because it has a small amount of brown sugar which makes the bread brown very well when toasted.

I've found that it's easiest to make grilled cheese by melting the cheese onto the bread before putting the sandwich together and toasting it in a pan.  You can do this under the broiler or in the microwave.

I made two styles and we each took half.  The first sandwich was inspired by a cuban, having ham, jack cheese, pickle slices, and hot mustard.  

Melted cheese


I lightly buttered each side and cooked it in a medium pan until each side was nicely toasted.  



The second sandwich also started with cheese and ham, but then got slices of apple.


Yum.  All packed up with a layer of salad on top of a layer of carrots.  On the right you can see my salad dressing.

House Dressing

one part stone ground mustard
one part jam or jelly, usually raspberry but today it was cranberry clementine marmalade
a good dose of salt and pepper
whip this together well with a fork and whisk in
3 parts walnut or olive oil 

I like to keep the dressing off the salad so it doesn't wilt.



I'm ready to eat this now :)  This meal was very quick and quite cheap.  The sandwich is calorie dense and the salad adds low-calorie bulk and dark leafy greens.   I don't eat lunch meat very often because it's so processed and high in salt, but when I do use it it's in small amounts. 

See you tomorrow! 


No comments:

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs