Pages

Monday, March 8, 2010

Project Lunch: Tuesday- Peppers and Sausage, plus Breakfast

Hello!
Monday's lunch was simple but very satisfying, and Tuesday's is the same.  This is one of my favorite ways to make lunch, by making dinner.

I began by slicing two onions, yes two whole onions, and three bell peppers.  While I was slicing I had five chicken sausages whole in my cast iron skillet over medium heat with a spray of oil.  I am lucky to have chicken sausage that is made locally, but you can use any kind of protein that you like with these peppers, from tempeh to pork.  They make a nice juicy sweet sauce with just a little olive oil, salt, and pepper.



I'd like to introduce you to quinoa, if you two are not already friends.  Quinoa is an excellent source of protein and fiber, and is a whole grain that you can use with all kinds of things.  Cook it by bringing one part quinoa to two parts liquid to a boil, reducing to a low simmer, and covering.   I do one cup for 15 minutes and it lasts for days.

My big glass jar:



All cooked.  It looks just like cous cous but is way better for you.


Once the sausages were brown on both sides, I pulled them out and let them cool so I could slice them into coins.  I cooked the onions and peppers in batches until they were all brown and delicious, and then I browned the sausage before throwing everything back together.  All told, it took me about 20 minutes. (Much less time than this BLOG POST!)

All packed up.  I've discovered a really annoying afternoon lull lately, so I packed up some almonds and dried cherries for a snack around three.





Oh, we converted our extra bedroom into an office, so now I blog from here!




I also wanted to share what I usually eat for breakfast.  In the summer I crave green smoothies, based on spinach or kale with frozen fruit and yogurt, but in the winter I need oats.  Here's Sunday's batch, including an apple, almonds, and dried cherries.


Good food makes for a healthy body and mind!  Have a great day, and I look forward to sharing what I have planned for tomorrow!





No comments:

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs