Pages

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

A Peek of Spring, and a little Indulgence: Frozen Yogurt and Sour Cream Coffee Cake

Greetings!
Guess where I was last week?


That's me and the bff on top of the other bff's building in beautiful Washington DC!  I had a fabulous time eating and drinking my way through the city.  Unfortunately, I got sickish while there,  and by the time I got home, my throat was killing me.

So, I did what I needed to do for comfort.  In DC we visited a few of those soft-serve yogurt shops known for their tart yogurt and sweet toppings, my favorite being Mr. Yogato, so I decided to make some frozen yogurt.  

Most recipes I found included large amounts of sugar because things taste significantly less sweet when served cold.  Since I enjoy the tart flavor of plain yogurt and had the opportunity to sweeten the yogurt later with syrup or fruit, I decided to use minimal sugar to make the yogurt itself.  I started with two of these:  Cultural Revolution organic whole-milk yogurt.




Made in Kalona!  That's a mere 20 miles from home.



To two of these I added 1/2 c. sugar, but you could add up to 3/4 c. of sugar for each 24 oz. container.

I strained it a bit to take some of the liquid out and help it thicken, as usual.  (hey look, I finally bought some Jadeite!)


I processed this in my ice cream maker, god love it, and then let put it in the freezer overnight.  It came very hard, so I let it sit at room temperature for a few minutes before eating.  After a short time sitting out, the yogurt is firm like ice cream, and perfect with a drizzle of honey. (My trip to Anthropologie in DC only resulted in this Kath bowl!)




After a long time, it melts a bit into the smooth soft-serve I had wanted.  I couldn't have it alone, so I paired it with coffee cake.  I chose to make a version from this thread on Chow using sour cream.  Rather than rewite the recipe here, I'll just direct you to that thread and let you drool over these.





Just perfect.  Oh, look what's happening in the basement!



This is my first attempt at starting peppers, specifically these and these.  I'm so excited to share what we've chosen for the garden this year, but that deserves its own post!  Until then, take care and enjoy the beginning of spring!








4 comments:

Julie, The Wife said...

Looks like a fun trip! May I say Domo Arigato, Mr. Yogato.

Love that something called "Cultural Revolution" comes out of Kalona.

Want that coffee cake. Delivered.

Jealous that you are starting veggies. We are lazy bones and get them from Teske's in Bettendorf, already 6" tall when we plant them, but the end result is still delicious. I am psyched for tilling! Might go batshit crazy and try to can this year!

Alicia said...

Julie,
Nothin' wrong with buying seedlings, I just want to get a head start.
You better try canning! We can have a party where we drink and preserve food.

whatkateate.com said...

I had no idea that Cultural Revolution was made in Kalona! I need to start buying that brand asap!

KathEats said...

I almost bought that bowl's sister at NYC's Anthro!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs