Pages

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Six Dinners, and Dessert, to Brighten your Kitchen

Greetings, dear readers!  January has been long, cold, and dark.  I've been cooking often and keeping up normal routines, but the early mornings and testing season have made it difficult to be positive this past month.  But!
January is over!  I'm looking so forward to February.
Things are already looking up!

I have to give some serious blog love to Linda at One Scoop at a Time.  We have followed each other on the blogosphere for some time now, and she is one of the few (but mighty!) early customers of Rosie's Best, my little food business.  She was even kind enough to send me feedback about the pretzels AND post about them on her blog!  If you want to see some pretzels in action, or f you are in the Bay Area, check her out! Thank you Linda!

For this post, I thought I'd share the dinners I've been making these dark evenings in the hopes that they might brighten up your evenings and tide you over until the days are longer and produce more abundant.  No recipes, just ideas.

Braised Chicken with Vegetables









There, served with saffron cous cous.  And here, as filling for a casserole with puff pastry on top.



Local Grass-Fed Burgers with Fries and Lime Chili Aioli 



(Those are some jalapenos I pickled.  You can also see the awesome local gouda we melted onto the burgers from Frisian Farms in Oskaloosa, and the a-ma-zing mustard from Illinois)




Red Peppers, Onions, and Buffalo Chicken Sausage






Quick Tomato Soup with Grilled Cheese


Tacos, with Avocado, Mashed Black Beans, and Local Grass-Fed Ground Beef




and for dessert, 
Meyer Lemon Curd Tart





It was all delicious.

Take the time to make a meal and sit down to enjoy it with your family and these days will become brighter.  We'll make it to spring yet!
I'm still working on that entry I've been thinking about regarding social networking and food, but it's turning out to be much longer than I'd anticipated, but I hope to share it with you soon.
Until then, soak up what sunlight you can, and make dinner!

If you want a daily checkup on what I'm doing, check out my Flickr 365 stream.  


3 comments:

Liz Smith said...

Yum - it all looks amazing!! Tell me, where do you like to shop for your local grass-fed meats? And if you have any recommendations for where I should be shopping here in Des Moines, let me know! I'm always on the lookout, but I'm still a newbie to this whole natural meat thing (and loving it!).

Ally @ Sweet & Savory said...

Just found your blog (I'm a fellow Iowa Blogger) and love it! Your meals look delicious. Hopefully all of us IA bloggers can pinpoint a date to get together!

kate said...

yum! i love sausages with peppers & onions. so easy, yet so tasty! i spy with my little eye some... new pi packages!

www.thewhatkateateblog.wordpress.com

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs