Pages

Tuesday, September 9, 2008

A Simple (White) Supper

Lately my new house, especially my kitchen, has been disrupted by the ongoing (i.e. slow. really slow.) renovation process in recent days. (weeks)
I am managing to cook a bit, but only super simple stuff. Thank goodness that fall is just barely reaching us, and there's still a bounty of food to be had at farmer's market. Here's the basic and tasty dinner that turned out to be a color study.

A Simple (White) Supper

I work within walking distance of my home and a local co-op that carries good produce and bakes solid artisans breads. I am lucky. Occasionally I have the happy pleasure of strolling into the co-op on my way home from work and grab a couple simple things to help use up the stuff I have at home.

On this particular evening I had fingerling potatoes left from Wednesday's market (I never pass up fingerlings when I see them. The ones I find run on the waxy side, very much like Yukon Gold, or red new potatoes. They're so nice roasted or boiled whole.)

I had also bought three heads of garlic at market. I use garlic almost every time I cook, and the stuff from market is so much more pungent than what you get at the grocery store, so I stock up. I'd already cracked into the first head, so I tried to use up the other two for something interesting.

At the co-op, we grabbed a loaf of crusty but chewy bread and a big sweet onion, with no particular plan in mind.

Behold: a potato family of baby and mama seals and penguins.



Ok, seriously, here's what they became:



Roasted Garlic

Roasted Fingerling Potatoes and Sweet Onions With Fresh Rosemary and Oregano

Bread with Garlic, Olive oil, and s&p

(I crush a couple cloves of garlic and simmer them in olive oil on really low heat. Then I brush the oil between the slices of bread with salt and fresh pepper, wrap the whole thing up in foil and throw it in the oven until it's hot and delish)

Supper. Easy.

Now get outside while you still can!!

2 comments:

Joelen said...

Mmmm - that garlic oil & bread sounds awesome! And I totally love the pic of your "fingerling seals" :)

Cate said...

I love fingerling potatoes too. I hate it when I can't find them. Looks like a great and simple supper!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs