Pages

Saturday, October 6, 2007

Mmm...cinnamon rolls

Now that we drink coffee, sweet breakfast things are very attractive to the Ambler family.
I have had this book for a few years now-



It was written by Peter Reinhart, a baking instructor at Johnson and Wales. He's written multiple books, but this little gem won cookbook of the year from both the Internation Association of Cooking Professions AND the James Beard Foundation! Impressive. I didn't know it existed until a friend going to culinary school was given a copy as a gift. I received his old copy, and haven't been the same since.

When I first got it, long room-temperature ferments consumed my culinary interest and I baked almost everything in it. Bread quickly took over my life. (I finally realized why there the position of chef is in two areas; pastry/bread and everything else)

I perfected Greek celebration bread, bagels, lavash crackers, and his pizza Napoletana. I was also studying papermaking at the same time, and the tactile practice was a welcome break from grad school drudgery.

When I sat down to make these cinnamon rolls on a whim, I spent a good part of the morning on hold searching for a Kitchenaid dough-hook attachment to no avail. But, once I started to handle the dough, I remembered that kneading is a huge part of why I like to make bread in the first place. Looking back on this cookbook after a few years, I still find it full of things I want to try.

Here, I've picked the book back up and found a formula that's newly of interest; cinnamon rolls.
Yum.

Begin by creaming

6 1/2 tbsp. granulated sugar
5 1/2 tbsp. unsalted sweet cream butter, at room temperature
1 tsp. salt

In a stand mixer on medium speed with a paddle attachment.

Once fluffy and light in color, add
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 tsp. citrus fruit extract/zest (e.g. orange) (optional)

Then, add
3 1/2 c. a.p. glour
2 tsp. instant yeast
1 1/8 c. buttermilk

Mix until dough forms a ball. Switch to a dough hook attachment, or begin to knead by hand. Spray surface first and sprinkle hands and top of dough with flour to prevent sticking. Knead for 12-15 minutes until it becomes 'sikly and supple, tacky but not sticky'. Once it passes the window-pane gluten test, roll into a ball, put into an oiled bowl and proof for 2 hours or until it doubles.

It'll look like this when you start-



Then this after two hours or so-



Mist the counter with oil. Roll into a rectangle 2/3 in. thick, 14 in. wide by 12 in. long.



Sprinkle on
3 tbsp butter, cubed
1/2 c. cinnamon sugar (6 1/2 tbsp. sugar plus 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon)




roll tightly.




Seam side down, cut the dough into pieces about three fingers wide with a bread knife.

Proof at room temp. for 90 minutes.

bake at 350 f. for 20-30 minutes.

Yum already-




After cooling for 10 minutes in the pan, move to cooling rack. Drizzle with glaze-



Serve at room temp. or warm with coffee, tea, or anything. So good.




3 comments:

DeborahSW said...

Wow, those look amazing!!

MrsPresley said...

these look soooo good! i actually have cinnamon rolls in the oven right now :) might have to try your recipe next time...

nate said...

i remember when you let me borrow that book, and threatened bodily harm to get it back.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs